2023 stargazing dates at Southwest Michigan’s International Dark Sky Park
Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park and Michigan Dark Sky Preserve | 15122 Monkey Run St., Vandalia, MI 49095 | $1/County Resident Car or $3/Non-County Resident
Are you looking for an amazing tourism experience? Go stargazing at one of Michigan’s three International Dark Sky Parks and an official Michigan Dark Sky Preserve. With no light pollution from cities or neighborhoods, you will see a spellbinding vista of our universe and its stars, planets, moons and nebulae. This is an inspiring date night, family activity or personal enrichment. You will want to stargaze at Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park again and again.
The park will be open late on the following dates this year, weather permitting. Meet in the main parking lot and volunteers will guide you to the best viewing site.
- Jan. 20 and 21 - Open until 10 p.m.
- Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 - Open until midnight for Comet ZTE
- Feb. 24 and 25 - Open until 11 p.m.
- March 24 and 25 - Open until 11 p.m.
- April 17-23 - International Dark Sky Week - Open until 2 a.m.
- May 19-21 - MAS Star Party
- June 16 and 17 - Open until 2 a.m.
- July 21 and 22 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Aug. 12 - Perseid Meteor Shower
- Aug. 18-19 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Sept. 15-16 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Oct. 13-14 - Open until midnight
- Nov. 10-11 - Open until 11 p.m.
- Dec. 15-16 - Open until 10 p.m.
Stargazing essentials to bring
You donʼt need expensive equipment. Your eyes are sufficient to view the beauty of the night sky. Dress for the night temperatures. Bring a portable chair for your comfort and a red-light flashlight to protect your night vision. It is important Night Sky etiquette to avoid using white light within a Dark Sky Park. It will only take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to a truly dark sky location. Of course, bringing along binoculars and telescopes, plus some snacks, will add to the fun.
Before you come, check the Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park Facebook page and your weather app for the forecast. If it is cloudy or inclement weather, stargazing will be canceled, and we hope you make plans to come to future viewing dates.
Learn more about our dark sky park
Locations of Michigan Dark Sky Preserves
International Dark-Sky Association and the Benefits of Dark Skies