Contact us for directions to key locations for taking photographs or video footage for your stories. Here are a few of our recommendations:
Arts District, Benton Harbor
Harbor Shores Golf Course and Harbor Shores Nature & Fitness Trail System, Benton Harbor
Bike, Hike & Cross-Country Ski Trails, Berrien, Cass & Van Buren Counties
Farms and Markets, Berrien, Cass & Van Buren Counties
Paddling Trails, Berrien, Cass & Van Buren Counties
Snowmobile Trails, Berrien Cass & Van Buren Counties
Craft Breweries, Distilleries & Wineries, Berrien County
Annual Berrien County Youth Fair, Berrien Springs
Warren Dunes State Park, Bridgman
Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve, Niles
Victorian-Era Downtown — Shops, Restaurants and Year-Around Festivals, St. Joseph
North Pier Lighthouses, St. Joseph
Silver Beach Center: Silver Beach Carousel, Discovery Zone by Curious Kids’ Museum, Shadowland at Silver Beach, St. Joseph
Whirlpool Compass Fountain, St. Joseph
International Dark Sky Park, Dr. T.K. Lawless County Park, Vandalia
How many miles long is Southwestern Michigan’s coastline? When can you start picking Honey Crisp apples? The staff at Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council can help writers confirm facts about our region. Call 269-925-6301 or contact us.
The Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council can assist you with compiling a list of local and regional publications, radio and television stations. Contact us online or call 269-925-6301.
Need suggestions for knowledgeable people to interview for your story? We can connect you to craft brew masters, winemakers, distillers, carousel operators, farm-to-table chefs, artists, chocolatiers, farmers and so many more. Contact us online or call 269-925-6301.
Media Hosting Tours
The Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council coordinates tours and provides itineraries for:
- Press groups
- Travel writers and editors
- Freelance travel writers or photographers on assignment
- Assigned staff from radio and television programs
- Bloggers from quality websites or blogs devoted to travel, outdoor recreation or food who have highly engaged audiences.
Depending on the assignment, we may be able to assist you with accommodations, transportation, etc. Complimentary or discounted arrangements, however, are subject to availability and the discretion of our members. Our number one concern is to assist working journalists, so we will not ask our members to host spouses, children and accompanying friends or journalists planning a leisure trip.
Our peak season is May through Labor Day, so it is rare that we can offer journalists discounted or complimentary accommodations, meals or admissions during those weeks. We can, however, during the summer months assist you with itineraries, scheduling interviews and photo sessions, as well as providing background information about our area.
To help us help you, please:
- Give us as much lead time as possible (it’s best if we have two business weeks for arrangements).
- Email us a letter describing your assignment and samples of previously published or aired work.
- Bloggers, please send third-party documentation (such as Google Analytics) of your web traffic data.
- To remain on our preferred media list, please forward a copy of your Southwest Michigan print or online published story, blog or video.
- For radio or television broadcasts, please send a link and the air date after it runs.
Guest bloggers are also welcome. Please submit your blog ideas or blogs to us for consideration.
- Travel media can stay up on the latest Southwest Michigan happenings and events on our website, Facebook page, blogs or a subscription to our free, twice-monthly e-newsletter.
Here are other information sources which can help you with your stories:
Again, thank you for wanting to share our story with others. We look forward to showing our paradise in the Midwest to you.