The autumn equinox is Sept. 22 and there’s a whole weekend of fall fun happening, including the new Roots & Brews festival, in and around St. Joseph. So, start off your fall by trying your favorite and new regional craft beers, wines and ciders paired with delicious local food and listening to roots music. Do it all with a fantastic view overlooking Lake Michigan.
Here are festival details:
Sept. 22 | 4-8 pm | Corner of Broad St. and Lake Blvd., downtown St. Joseph
Regional Beverage Choices
- Breweries: Founders Brewing Co., The Livery, North Pier Brewing Company, Round Barn Brewery, Silver Harbor, Sister Lakes Brewing Company, Tapistry Brewing, Three Blondes Brewing and Watermark Brewing Co.
- Wineries: Lazy Ballerina Winery, Lake Michigan Vintners, Round Barn Winery
- Mead/Cider: B. Nektar, Peat’s Original Cider
- Non-alcoholic beverages: free coffee plus water and soda available for purchase
(times are approximate)
- 4:30 pm: Elephant Rescue, a three-piece band based in Niles, Mich., whose playlist combines New Orleans swamp funk, blues, rock, folk and world flavors.
- 6:15 pm: Jared & The Mill, a five-piece band of best friends coming in from Arizona to play their rowdy, Western indie rock.
- $35 per person: includes admission, 12 beverage tokens, sample cup and live music.
- $15 per DD: includes admission, free coffee and live music (purchase in-person only at St. Joseph Today Welcome Center, 301 State St.)
Beer: 1 token; Wine: 3 tokens; 4 oz servings; additional tokens: $2 each
Must be 21 or older to enter festival grounds (bring your ID); no children or pets, please!
Make it a getaway weekend with even more fall activities:
- 4:30 pm: The Great Bed Race. Bring the kids to cheer teams racing beds down Lake Blvd. in downtown St. Joseph.
Sept. 21 & 22
- 10 am-7 pm: Fall Fest Sidewalk Sales, St. Joseph
- 7:15 am registration: Pumpkin 5K/10K & Walk. This annual race starts at the Renaissance Athletic Club, 501 Graham Ave., Benton Harbor.
- 10 am-2 pm: Great Pumpkin Festival & Race. Meet up at Lake Blvd. and Pleasant St. in downtown St. Joseph for pumpkin carving and decorating, face painting, games, purchase baked goods and flowers and enter a pumpkin race.
- 11 am-3 pm: Fall Fest. More fun for all ages! Gather up farm fresh fruits and vegetables, pet farm animals, join the kids’ activities, ride the horse-drawn trolley through town.
- 2:30 pm: Public art auction. Bid to own your favorite knight or dragon from the Magical Kingdom of St. Joseph.
There are lots of lodgings to stay over in the area. So, don’t miss a thing this weekend, including the gorgeous fall color sunsets!