Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park and Michigan Dark Sky Preserve | 15122 Monkey Run St., Vandalia | $2 per car
Are you looking for an amazing tourism experience? Go stargazing at one of Michigan’s two International Dark Sky Parks and an official Michigan Dark Sky Preserve. With no light pollution from cities or neighborhoods, you will see a spellbinding vista of our universe and its stars, planets, moons and nebulae. This is an inspiring date night, family activity or personal enrichment. You will want to stargaze at Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park again and again.
The park will be open late on the following dates this year, weather permitting. Meet in the main parking lot and volunteers will guide you to the best viewing site.
- Jan. 7 and 8 - Open until midnight
- Feb. 4 and 5 - Open until midnight
- March 4 and 5 - Open until midnight
- April 1 and 2 - Open until midnight
- April 25 -30 - International Dark Sky Week - Open until midnight
- May 6 and 7 - Open until 2 a.m.
- June 3 and 4 - Open until 2 a.m.
- July 1 and 2 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Aug. 11 and 12 - Perseid Meteor Shower - Open until midnight
- Aug. 26 and 27 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Sept. 23 and 24 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Oct. 28 and 29 - Open until 2 a.m.
- Nov. 18 and 19 - Open until midnight
- Dec. 13 and 14 - Geminids Meteor Shower - Open until 10 p.m.
- Dec. 16 and 17 - Open until midnight
Or download this free 2022 calendar with this year’s dates and beautiful photographs taken at the park.
Stargazing essentials to bring
You donʼt need expensive equipment. Your eyes are sufficient to view the beauty of the night sky. Dress for the night temperatures. Bring a portable chair for your comfort and a red-light flashlight to protect your night vision. It is important Night Sky etiquette to avoid using white light within a Dark Sky Park. It will only take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to a truly dark sky location. Of course, bringing along binoculars and telescopes, plus some snacks, will add to the fun.
Before you come, check the Dr. T.K. Lawless International Dark Sky Park Facebook page or follow this link for current weather conditions. If it is cloudy or inclement weather, stargazing will be canceled, and we hope you make plans to come to future viewing dates.