Summer 2020 will make for a unique summer experience without fairs and festivals, however Southwest Michigan is still chock full of experiences to make your summer a blast. Here are five ideas to make the most of your summer this year:
- Rent kayaks from Third Coast Surf Shop: Along the Paw Paw River in Benton Harbor, Third Coast Surf Shop offers kayak rentals to paddle through some of the most peaceful areas in Southwest Michigan. With single and double rentals available, you can plan an afternoon alone or with the family. Try spotting local wildlife, and if you get hungry or thirsty, you can pull out the kayaks and walk to North Pier Brewery to grab a beer and a snack before heading back onto the water.
- Tour a state-of-the-art dairy farm — Happy cows produce more milk. That’s the concept the Shuler family used to turn their 150-year-old family operation into a state-of-the-art facility. The guided tours will teach you all about a dairy operation and allow you to get up-close to see how your milk ends up on the grocery shelf. Enjoy some homemade ice cream after to treat yourself! The tours are operating by appointment, so call ahead to ensure your place at this local treasure.
- Hike the trails through Harbor Shores — Whether you are a hiking junkie or just a casual stroller, there are trails throughout Harbor Shores to meet your needs. The trailhead at Jean Klock Park offers a beautiful view of Lake Michigan and its rolling sand dunes. Take a stroll to the Benton Harbor Arts District and grab lunch at local gem the Mason Jar Cafe. With six different loops each from 1-3 miles long, you can create your own adventure throughout the beautiful Harbor Shores Golf Course. View page 6 of our trail guide.
- Gather tasty treasures at local u-picks — A trip to the u-pick can give your family great memories together picking our delicious fruits and vegetables through the countryside. This spring was nearly ideal for our local farmers, so the harvest should be bountiful! Check out our food chart of when local produce is generally available in the fields each month.
- Dine outdoors at the Pleasant Street Plaza — Getting creative with restaurant capacity limits, Silver Harbor Brewing Company created the Pleasant Street Plaza in conjunction with 221 Main. Sit outdoors and enjoy fresh air, dine on Silver Harbor’s delicious food, and enjoy ice-cold beverages with live music. This experience will be unique to 2020, so make sure to head to Pleasant Street this summer to make a unique memory of this year.
Many things are canceled this year due to COVID-19, but summer most definitely is not. Start planning your trip today and make the most of summer 2020.