There’s nothing better than a leap year, except when our bonus day falls on a Saturday, which is exactly what 2020 brings us! Southwest Michigan offers multiple opportunities for you to turn your bonus day into a memorable one.
- Plan a Getaway — Not only are we able to enjoy a bonus day this year, but we also have the rare occurring 5th Saturday in February which lends perfect to a quick getaway with your spouse/significant other, or your girlfriends. Many of our local hotels offer fantastic Romantic Getaway or Girls Weekend Packages including The Inn at Harbor Shores, Hilton Garden Inn, The Boulevard Inn and Comfort Suites.
- Break Tradition — Speaking of romance, ladies - Southwest Michigan is a great destination for you to embrace the leap day tradition of proposing to the man in your life. Outdoor lovers, head to Grand Mere State Park for a winter climb through the dunes before proposing in front of Lake Michigan. Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve’s trails and Nature Center building offers multiple unique locations for you to surprise your outdoorsy guy with a memorable proposal. Lake Michigan sunsets are romance at its finest, Grande Mere Inn and The LakeHouse Restaurant both provide spectacular views of the lake to serve as a backdrop to your love story.
- Experience Winter Delights — Embrace the extra day of winter sample the sights and sounds of Southwest Michigan with Winter Delights at The Mendel Center. Starting at 1 pm you can sip, shop, and dance the night away with two stages, craft beers, ciders, local wines, food, and a carefully curated pop-up artisan market all under one roof. Entertainment includes: Six Appeal, a world-renowned vocal ensemble with a splash of comedic timing and energy; JigJam, a multi-award quartet from Ireland that mixes Bluegrass and Americana with traditional Irish music; The Reminders, a duo seamlessly blending soulful sounds with thoughtful lyrics; and Bryan Lubeck, who combines high-energy, fiery Spanish guitar, and smooth urban grooves together. Tickets are available in advance or at the door.
- Bonus Kids Day — For parents, leap day provides a full bonus day of quality-time with your little ones. Treat them and yourself to an extra day of fun with a ride on the Silver Beach Carousel. Spend a few extra hours being a kid yourself while exploring Curious Kids’ Museum, or their Discovery Zone. Grab your quarters and head to Slackers Family Fun Center for a few extra games in the arcade or a game of laser tag. Don’t forget to stop by Kilwins for an extra scoop of ice cream for everyone! Wrap up your day by splashing around at one of our hotels with a pool.
- Discover a new location — The food, beverage and entertainment scene is real, and it’s begging you to step outside of your comfort zone and discover your new favorites. Bonus points if you get a few stamps for your Makers Trail Passport at a new winery, brewery or distillery! One thing you MUST do is check out the just-announced national 2020 Toasty Award winner The Livery. Not only are they serving up delicious craft beers, ciders, and wines, but their unique spins on pizza toppings will leave your taste buds singing. While you’re there double down with their double-billing of Michigan madness, in honor of leap day, they’re bringing in two great Michigan bands for you to enjoy.
A hidden gem in Southwest Michigan includes the Village of Three Oaks, home to The Acorn which will be welcoming in up and coming blues and rockers the Nick Bell Band on Leap Day. Influenced by Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and others, Nick Bell has shared the stage with legends such as Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Tower of Power, Three Dog Night and more. Directly across the street you’ll find Journeyman Distillery, stop in before the show and be one of the first to try their newly released Not a King Rye or grab a bite at their Staymaker Restaurant.
Let us know how you spent your #leapday by sharing it with us on your social media using #swmichigan.