LEGO-loving kids and adults - come to St. Joseph, Mich., this March - when this lakeside resort town turns into LEGO City. From March 1 until the end of most spring breaks, April 8, there is a bonanza of brick-building creativity going on at six different sites during the Sixth Annual Build Your Way Around Town LEGO events sponsored by United Federal Credit Union. Cost to go? Parking and admission is free at every site.
Here's all you can do:
- March 1: Builders' Bash, 4-8:30 p.m. Silver Beach Carousel, 333 Broad St. This is the Grand Opening Event for the Carousel's Amazing LEGO Display. View more than 100 brick creations made by local builders from ages 4 to 18. Free hourly prize drawings, special $1 Carousel rides and a chance to talk with the young builders will make this a great night for the entire family.
- March 1-April 8: Amazing LEGO Display, Silver Beach Carousel. If you didn't see all of the 100+ pre-built exhibits created by area youth at the Builders Bash, come back and check them out. While here you can ride the magnificent Carousel, play family games, munch on great treats and explore the hands-on Silver Beach Amusement Park museum exhibits. You'll want to see what's new for spring in The Brass Ring Gift Shop, too. Visit SilverBeachCarousel.com for hours and more information.
- March 2-4: Big City Build, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Friday and Saturday and 12-5 p.m., Sunday, Shadowland Ballroom, 333 Broad St. (across the boardwalk from the Carousel House). Professional builder Jason Spear and the Western Michigan LEGO Train Club will create a magnificent cityscape with multiple trains and replicas of buildings from Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and St. Joseph, Mich. Viewers can ask Club members for building tips as well as make their own LEGO creations from a large supply of the colorful bricks.
- March 5, 12, 19 & 26: Monday Prize Drawings, St. Joseph Today Welcome Center, 301 State St. Encourage your children to turn in entry forms each time they visit one of the six participating sites. LEGO and DUPLO prize packages, donated by United Federal Credit Union, will be awarded in random drawings on each Monday. You do not need to be present to win.
- March 10: LEGO Bingo, 1-4 p.m., Curious Kids' Museum, 415 Lake Blvd. Children from 2 to 10 years old can play BINGO for prizes every half hour. To get into the event for free, enter the museum through the brown door on the south side of the building. If you can, come earlier - the museum has new hands-on learning exhibits that will entertain your toddlers to elementary-aged children.
- March 17: Skyscraper Building Competition and Stop-Motion Animation Workshops, Krasl Art Center, 707 Lake Blvd. The Skyscraper Building Competition will challenge teams of children 5 to 7 years old to build the tallest, strongest skyscrapers using the LEGO Architecture Studio design kit. Choose between Session 1 from 12-1:30 p.m. and Session 2 from 2:30-4 p.m.
- During the Stop-Motion Animation Workshops, young animators, ages 8 to 12, will collaborate to bring LEGOS to life in short videos that can be viewed later on the Krasl Art Center YouTube page. Choose between Session 1 from 12-1:30 p.m. or Session 2 from 2:30-4 p.m.
- Pre-register at http://public.krasl.org/public/Youth.faces.
- March 22: LEGO Carnivale, 6-8 p.m., The Heritage Museum and Cultural Center (in partnership with Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library), 601 Main St. This fun-packed evening includes free build stations, LEGO games, a cupcake walk, relay races and a bucket toss. There will be robotic demonstrations by the Cybear Joes (a St. Joseph Public Schools team), plus a chance to watch the Krasl Stop-Motion Animation Workshop videos. There will be snacks and drinks, too.
- Because space is limited, please call the Library at 269-983-7167 to say you're coming.